South Africa – Cape Malay Cooking Experience
$86 per person
Learn about traditional Cape Malay Cooking within a unique cooking experience
- Departure71 Wale Street, Cape Town City Centre (outside the Bo-Kaap Museum)
- Departure Time9:00 a.m. or 2:00 p.m. (other times on request)
- Return Time1:00 p.m. or 6:00 p.m. (other times on request)
- IncludedSouth Africa – Cape Malay Cooking ExperienceBreakfastPersonal GuideEntry FeesLunchActivities (listed)
- Not IncludedDinnerGorilla PermitsChimp PermitsTransfersAccommodationInternational FlightsVisasGame Drive(s)Boat Trip/RaftingFamily StayDomestic FlightsGuide in your Language
- Bishop Tutu’s “Rainbow Nation” originated in the Bokaap. This historical area contains a cultural diversity that ranges from South-East Asia to North-West Africa and Europe.
- Your guide will share the colourful history of its people, their traditions, the architecture and most importantly the food as you take a gentle stroll around the area.
- A stop at the local spice Mecca of Cape Town will take you behind the counter to taste, smell and touch your way through the exotic ingredients used in Cape Malay cooking. This is a true sensory delight!(1)
- The highlight is a visit to a local family home where you will participate in a hands-on, fun-filled cooking session & demonstration. You will assist in making your own meal with the assistance and guidance of a local host.(2) This is the perfect occasion to gain insight into local culture, hear some real-life stories while enjoying a full traditional meal.
- A walk through the Bokaap including a visit to one or two local shops (3)
- An accredited guide
- Hands-on cooking session/demonstration
- Ingredients for cooking session
- Traditional non-alcoholic welcome drink
- Full course Cape Malay meal
- Small gift pack
- Personal purchases (e.g. spices and ingredients to take home) and gratuities
- Transport (4)
- Please let us know when booking the tour if you have any special requirements (e.g. physical disabilities) or dietary requirements (food allergies, vegetarians, vegans, etc).
- Child friendly. Please inform us of the ages of children participating when booking.
- Clients may take photographs but please be sensitive to the context.
- We do not encourage giving children in the streets sweets or money. Donations or gifts are very welcome and we are happy to assist in determining the appropriateness of clients’ kind gesture.
- Please make sure you dispose of your litter responsibly. Where available kindly use recycling facilities.
- We recommend guests bring a little cash in small notes for personal purchases.
(3) Subject to the shops being open (4) On request and subject to availability we offer transfers at an additional costThis Tour is also offered without cooking course solely as dinner experience!
Tour Prices (per person)*
|Group Size||PER PERSON PRICE||PER GUIDE FEE**||PER PERSON TRANSPORT COST (OPTIONAL)||TOTAL PRICE|
* Prices may vary due to fluctuations of exchange rate and our partner prices
** If you come with your own guide
- Guests are to wear comfortable shoes, appropriate clothing and bring sun, rain and wind protection